Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Jennifer's new bedroom

Back in March I was happy to get an email from a friend from college. Jennifer and I have enjoyed "keeping up" with each other through our blogs, but I had not personally heard from her in a long time. Jennifer recently moved, and was hoping to make changes to her master bedroom. I was very honored that Jennifer thought of me!

excerpt from her email...
dear genevieve laura, (ha!)

"This is kind of out of the blue but we moved into a new home in August and right now our master bedroom is a hodge podge of leftover hand-me-down furniture. We really want to redo our room from top to bottom to make it somewhere that we can relax but I'm having a tough time getting started. Basically, I'm overwhelmed. I'm not exactly sure what you're doing these days or how much you are still doing interior design work, but I remember all of the work that you used to do in school and so I was wondering if you've ever considered doing "virtual" consultations. I know that there are some designers that do them but most of the people that I've found that do them have a horrendously long wait time to get a result. We're not in a big rush but I don't particularly want to sit around on this without doing something for much longer.

So, I was wondering if you would be interested in starting some virtual consultations. We worked with a designer picking out a few things in the main living areas when we moved in but I wasn't extremely pleased with her mostly because I wanted a whole lot more guidance than she was willing to give. I wouldn't be looking for you to design a room from start to finish or to execute the design, I'm mostly looking for me to send you the dimensions of our room, some pictures of what it looks like currently, some pictures online of rooms that I like, and then I would love some suggestions on color schemes, layout, and bedding/furniture that you think would be best."

I was thrilled! I had never attempted a "virtual consultation" but as you know I will try just about anything once...especially at the request of a friend. Jennifer and I live several hours apart, but it was so much fun that we were able to share thoughts and ideas through pictures and emails.

Jennifer did not need me to "execute" the design, really just needed guidance, or a direction to get her started. She had great ideas as to what she wanted to include, but wanted thoughts on color, layout, and resources to purchase suggested items.

She sent me pictures of the current space, floor plan, dimensions, a list of things she wanted to include, a budget, as well as "idea pictures" of spaces she loved.

I later submitted my design ideas to Jennifer. She and her husband Jason were able to put their own spin on my suggestions to create a room that was perfect for them!
Last week I got another email from Jennifer letting me know that they were wrapping up the master bedroom! She shared pictures with me and wrote all about the process on her fun blog! So much fun to see a concept come to life!

Jennifer and Jason I hope you are THRILLED with your new bedroom!! Thanks for the fun opportunity!

3 comments:

Tales of a Peanut said...

Thank you so much Laura! I love everything and am so, so happy with it! And it was great working with you! I'm guessing whenever Jason gives me the go-ahead to do the next room I'll be emailing you again!

Have a good day!
Jennifer

MaryMartha said...

darn, i couldn't get the link to work! I so wanted to see it...i'll check back.
LOVE that idea...you would be AWESOME at the whole consulting thing...I would totally use you! I think alot of people our age just need help getting started :)
Such a fun idea!

Mary Tyler S. said...

Can I be next?? I have a bedroom SCREAMING for an update.